Here was my list of to dos for yesterday:
laundry, swim lessons, grocery, pick up house, walk to park to meet friends at 4:30, dinner out for bday
Not a bad list. Most of it is my normal Monday routine.
The morning started off with Avery and Kendall getting up a little early. Avery woke up and couldn't find her little blankie which totally upset her. Of course it was just under the sheet.
I then had to bribe her to go to swim lessons. She had an off week last week because she tried her new goggles and water got in them. Big mistake to buy the goggles. The bribe was an easy one...she could take Dollie (who goes in the water) to swim lessons. We still had a some tears but I gave some tough love by putting her in the pool and taking off to feed Kendall in a room where she couldn't see me. The swim lessons ended with a smile and Kendall had a full belly and was smiling.
We hit HEB with a bang. Kendall crashed out of course.
When we got home it was time for lunch, Kendall kept sleeping like normal. I put Avery down for a nap and had to wake Kendall up to eat. This is not normal but I thought she might just be really tired. I gave her a bottle and she went right back to sleep. Not normal but she didn't feel any different.
Since we were meeting our friends at the park, I needed to feed Kendall a little early. I was a little concerned about having to wake her up. She usually doesn't sleep this much. When I picked her up, she felt hot. I took the swaddle off to see if she was hot from that. I took her temp and it was 103.2. Of course she was pooping while I was taking it.
I found my Baby 411 book to see what it said. Of course it told me to call the dr. When I called the dr., they told me to go straight to the ER. This of course freaked me out. We never had to do this with Avery and the last time I went to the ER was for a sprained ankle in High School. I made sure I wasn't crazy by taking her temp again...same results.
I called Cari to take care of Avery and called Kyle to tell him to head home. Off to the ER we went. I was impressed with how quickly we were seen. I got there at 4:30 and was in the back by 5:00. When they checked us in to the ER, they took Kendall's temp. It was 100.7. I started to think I was crazy or our thermometer was off. Great this is really not where we need to be.
Once we got in the back, they told us that at this age they are required to do different tests no matter what. We lucked out because she was over 2 mths. If she was just 3 weeks younger they would have to do a spinal tap. Thank God she was 11 wks.
Our tests started out with a chest xray. Kyle and I had to hold her down in a certain way for this. They came out fine.
Next was a urine sample. WHAT?? How where they going to do that. Of course a catheter. Kyle couldn't watch this but I didn't want to leave Kendall. I stayed trying to calm her down. That was impossible. The first guy couldn't do it so we had to wait for someone else that had done it before being that her 'area' is small.
Next was blood. They are required to put in an IV to take the blood in case they need to give her fluids later. This prevents multiple pricks. Since her arms are so small, they had a hard time finding a good vein. They found a nurse that was experienced at giving little ones an IV. I couldn't watch this..plus I was in the way. Kyle and I left the room. It was very painful to listen to her cry and not be able to help make the hurt go away.


(these are from my phone)
The dr told us that 9 out of 10 children who come in with high fevers leave with just a viral infections. We were happy to hear this. Once they were done taking all the test, all we had to do was wait. Of course Kendall was exhausted and just slept. She did take a bottle before crashing out. Kyle left to get me some dinner and pick up Avery. I enjoyed some Wendy's while waiting for the results.
Iwas finally told her blood counts were normal and her urine was clear. We could go home. They came to take her temp before leaving and it was 102.7. They tried to give her Tylenol orally but she spit it out. So up the bum it was with the meds. It took 3 times to give it to her because she kept pooping it out.
I drove her home feeling relived my little girl was fine. By 9:00, she was smiling and talking to us. I gave her a bottle at 10:00 which she sucked down. I took her temp and it was 98.8. I gave her some Tylenol and put her to bed. They told me only to wake her up during the night if her temp was still super high at 10:00. It wasn't so she is sleeping right now peacefully.
We will be seeing our pediatrician in a few days for a follow up.
Well she is up...gotta go.
Just took her temp...98.8. YEAH!!!
Now I wonder if I over reacted but I was following dr orders.
laundry, swim lessons, grocery, pick up house, walk to park to meet friends at 4:30, dinner out for bday
Not a bad list. Most of it is my normal Monday routine.
The morning started off with Avery and Kendall getting up a little early. Avery woke up and couldn't find her little blankie which totally upset her. Of course it was just under the sheet.
I then had to bribe her to go to swim lessons. She had an off week last week because she tried her new goggles and water got in them. Big mistake to buy the goggles. The bribe was an easy one...she could take Dollie (who goes in the water) to swim lessons. We still had a some tears but I gave some tough love by putting her in the pool and taking off to feed Kendall in a room where she couldn't see me. The swim lessons ended with a smile and Kendall had a full belly and was smiling.
We hit HEB with a bang. Kendall crashed out of course.
When we got home it was time for lunch, Kendall kept sleeping like normal. I put Avery down for a nap and had to wake Kendall up to eat. This is not normal but I thought she might just be really tired. I gave her a bottle and she went right back to sleep. Not normal but she didn't feel any different.
Since we were meeting our friends at the park, I needed to feed Kendall a little early. I was a little concerned about having to wake her up. She usually doesn't sleep this much. When I picked her up, she felt hot. I took the swaddle off to see if she was hot from that. I took her temp and it was 103.2. Of course she was pooping while I was taking it.
I found my Baby 411 book to see what it said. Of course it told me to call the dr. When I called the dr., they told me to go straight to the ER. This of course freaked me out. We never had to do this with Avery and the last time I went to the ER was for a sprained ankle in High School. I made sure I wasn't crazy by taking her temp again...same results.
I called Cari to take care of Avery and called Kyle to tell him to head home. Off to the ER we went. I was impressed with how quickly we were seen. I got there at 4:30 and was in the back by 5:00. When they checked us in to the ER, they took Kendall's temp. It was 100.7. I started to think I was crazy or our thermometer was off. Great this is really not where we need to be.
Once we got in the back, they told us that at this age they are required to do different tests no matter what. We lucked out because she was over 2 mths. If she was just 3 weeks younger they would have to do a spinal tap. Thank God she was 11 wks.
Our tests started out with a chest xray. Kyle and I had to hold her down in a certain way for this. They came out fine.
Next was a urine sample. WHAT?? How where they going to do that. Of course a catheter. Kyle couldn't watch this but I didn't want to leave Kendall. I stayed trying to calm her down. That was impossible. The first guy couldn't do it so we had to wait for someone else that had done it before being that her 'area' is small.
Next was blood. They are required to put in an IV to take the blood in case they need to give her fluids later. This prevents multiple pricks. Since her arms are so small, they had a hard time finding a good vein. They found a nurse that was experienced at giving little ones an IV. I couldn't watch this..plus I was in the way. Kyle and I left the room. It was very painful to listen to her cry and not be able to help make the hurt go away.


(these are from my phone)
The dr told us that 9 out of 10 children who come in with high fevers leave with just a viral infections. We were happy to hear this. Once they were done taking all the test, all we had to do was wait. Of course Kendall was exhausted and just slept. She did take a bottle before crashing out. Kyle left to get me some dinner and pick up Avery. I enjoyed some Wendy's while waiting for the results.
Iwas finally told her blood counts were normal and her urine was clear. We could go home. They came to take her temp before leaving and it was 102.7. They tried to give her Tylenol orally but she spit it out. So up the bum it was with the meds. It took 3 times to give it to her because she kept pooping it out.
I drove her home feeling relived my little girl was fine. By 9:00, she was smiling and talking to us. I gave her a bottle at 10:00 which she sucked down. I took her temp and it was 98.8. I gave her some Tylenol and put her to bed. They told me only to wake her up during the night if her temp was still super high at 10:00. It wasn't so she is sleeping right now peacefully.
We will be seeing our pediatrician in a few days for a follow up.
Well she is up...gotta go.
Just took her temp...98.8. YEAH!!!
Now I wonder if I over reacted but I was following dr orders.


5 comments:
My thoughts are better to over react then not react at all. At this age you never know what could be wrong with them. I think I'm worse with Meredith than I was with Jonah because I'm so scared something will actually be wrong!! Glad to hear that Avery is feeling better!!
Awww poor thing! I hate that she had to go thru that and you & Kyle as well! Oh that must have been so hard. I sure am glad she is ok now...take care~ Melissa
so sorry that you guys and kendall had to endure such a tuff day. we went through the same senario with riley at five weeks! finding a vein in those tiny arms is awful!
we love you all! rest well tonight!
mandy
Bless your heart! I'm so sorry! What is it about the 2nd born? Lauren is going to have to have a skin graft done at the end of the summer b/c one of her tubes made a whole in her ear drum! I wasn't ready for that! Hope Kendall stays well (and Avery) :)
Miss you!
Will you be here at all this summer?
Poor little Kendall! I don't think you overreacted.....I would have done the same thing!
What do they think it was? A virus?
Summer
Post a Comment