7.01.2008

Camp Bluebonnet




As some of you already know, last week was my JLA placement for the year. I was a camp counselor for Camp Bluebonnet. It was in Youngsport, Texas at Peaceable Kingdom Retreat for Children. Let me first tell you what a wonderful place it was. It is for children with chronic illnesses and special needs. All through-out the summer they host different camps from the School for the Deaf and Blind to Any Baby Can.
Camp Bluebonnet is for children with diabetes and their siblings, ages 4-17. This year they had over 200 kiddos. My campers were 2nd and 3rd graders. We had a great time together. I learned a great deal about diabetes and the strength each child has to live each day with this disease.
I met many fellow League member. They were a blast to sweat with each day. I carpooled with Laura and Janice. We shared many things each day on our hour trips each way. Katrina and Jennifer were wonderful co-counselors. We have some great stories between the 3 of us.
Kyle and I also had to really plan our week since I was leaving the house at 7 and not getting home until 4:30-5:00 each day. SuSu was wonderful with Avery each day. She always had the day planned out with fun activities. They went to storytime, made a visor, ate lunch with Poppy and went swimming. Thanks a bunch SuSu!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

what a great experience!